Tuesday 27 September 2011

Pumpkin Coconut And Walnut Bread

There was a spare tin of pumpkin purée in my cupboards from when I had made a pumpkin pie for my dad last Christmas, I also had left over nuts from various other things I had baked so I went about searching for a recipe that would use up both.  I came across the recipe for this bread and decided to try it out and wow, is it yummy!  Delicious warm and cold.

Ingredients:
450g plain flour
440g soft dark brown sugar
135g caster sugar
425g pumpkin purée (canned or home made)
250ml vegetable oil
150ml coconut milk
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
60g desiccated coconut
115g walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4.
Grease and flour 2 loaf tins.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, pumpkin, oil, coconut milk, baking soda, salt and spices.  When all ingredients are well mixed, fold in the coconut and walnuts.  Pour half the batter into each loaf tin.  Bake for approximately 60 minutes, or until a cake tester or tooth pick comes out clean when inserted.  Remove from the oven and cover with foil to steam for 10 minutes.  Remove foil and turn out onto a cooling rack, place the foil over the bread again, loosely this time, and allow to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment