Tuesday 30 August 2011

Banana Bread with Coconut and Pecans

I had bananas left over from the vegan banana bread I made recently so I wanted to try out a new banana bread recipe I had come across.

Ingredients:
3 cups plain flour
11/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
11/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
11/2 cups bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sour cream (I used plain yoghurt)
11/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup desiccated coconut

Preheat oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl, beat together the oil and sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Add the bananas and sour cream and beat well.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is just combined.  Stir in the pecans and coconut.  Pour batter into greased loaf tin until it is half full (I got 2 banana bread loaves from one batch).  Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the loaf.  Allow to cool for at least an hour before removing it from the pan and serving.  Tastes great plain, or with a little bit of butter.


To toast pecans: place nuts on a baking tray and heat in the oven (180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4) for 15 minutes or until light brown and fragrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment